Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cosmic

Title: Cosmic

Author: Frank Cottrell Boyce

Published: 2008

Pages: 311

 Opening lines: "Mom, Dad-if you're listening-you know I said I was going to the South Lakeland Outdoor Activity Center with the school?  To be completely honest, I'm not exactly in the Lake District.  To be completely honest, I'm more sort of in space."

Description: Twelve year old Liam is tall for his age, and he has a little stubble of hair on his chin.  These two things add up to him looking a lot older than he really is.  So what does Liam do about it?  He uses it to his advantage, of course!  Showing up at a car dealership, and trying to take a Porsche for a test drive is only the beginning of his many adventures.  Fly along on this cosmic tale to see what happens next!

My thoughts: This is literally the funniest book I have ever read!  With chapter headings such as, I Nearly Shaved Myself to Death, In Chinayouidiot, I Can't Work My Trousers, and Gravity Is Not a Trivial Monster, you know you are in for a wild ride.  

Favorite lines: "Truly, grown-upness is wasted on grown-ups." pg 20

(Liam points out the physical properties of a counter-top his parents are shopping for) "It was made by magma bubbling up from the Earth's mantle millions of years ago.  The molten magma cooled in the crust and turned into crystals, then probably sat, being squeezed into flat beds for about a billion years until it was dug up by Italians.  All that trouble and then it's chopped up and sent to Nothing But Drainers, where my mom will look at it for five minutes and say, 'I'm not sure about this color.'  
The man looked at Dad.  Dad just shrugged. "He's in Gifted and Talented.  At school.  They study this kind of thing.  Last month it was global warming."
Mom said, "He is right though.  I'm not sure about this color."  pg 44

"The hardest part about driving a car is keeping it in the right place on the road.  You mustn't go too near the curb (your tires make a weird screaming noise) or too far over to the middle (drivers coming the other way look frightened and angry)." pg 107

I would advise reading it on an empty bladder though, and yes, it really is that funny!

xoxo,
Kelly

`

1 comment:

  1. My library has this so I'm going to check it out. I'll go to the bathroom before I start reading it though :)

    ReplyDelete