Thursday, May 23, 2019

The Cricket in Times Square


Title:  The Cricket in Times Square

Author:  George Selden, Drawings by Garth Williams

Published:  1960

Pages:  134


Description
There are many interesting things in the Times Square Subway Station, not the least of which are a mouse named Tucker, a cat named Harry, and now a cricket named Chester.  While the young boy Mario Bellini runs the family news stand, he doesn't even know he is being watched. 

A mouse was looking at Mario.
The mouse's name was Tucker, and he was sitting in the opening of an abandoned drain pipe in the subway station at Times Square.

Mario soon finds out about Chester Cricket though, and he goes to Chinatown to buy him a new little cricket home that even has a bell.  That night while Tucker, Harry, and Chester are playing around they soon get themselves into a bit of trouble.  Will they be clever enough to get out of this one?  

My thoughts 
When I was growing up, I don't think I read this one but I certainly heard of it.  I even remember eating chocolate and mint grasshopper cookies around that time too.  Maybe one of my teachers read this book to us.  It is hard to remember that far back.  I certainly enjoyed it now though.  Getting to know Harry Cat, Tucker Mouse, and Chester Cricket was such a delight.  I enjoyed the author's occasional stab of humor too.

Harry had been down to Washington Square to hear an open-air concert of chamber music.  How you could play chamber music outdoors Chester didn't understand-but it was New York and anything could happen.

I didn't want this book to end.  The characters were so endearing, they will live on in my memory for a long time.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment