Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Howard Wallace, P.I.

Title:  Howard Wallace, P.I.

Author:  Casey Lyall

Published:  2016

Pages:  257


This is one of the many books that I spotted on a trip to Barnes & Noble last December.  With a limited amount we could spend, there were a few books that I just took a picture of to later order or pick up from the library (and we still ending up spending a lot).  I had forgotten about this one and then just happened to spot it at the library last month. 

Howard Wallace, P.I. is a kid version hard-boiled detective novel.  It isn't too hard to warm up to the bubble gum chewing, robe wearing, bike riding Howard Wallace though.  When checks go missing from the student council at school, he is asked by Meredith to investigate. 

"It'll cost you," I said.
She pulled out another white envelope....tossed it onto the desk in front of me.  "Will that do?"
I thumbed through the small wad of cash inside and nodded.  Just enough to cover my pride.  "It's a start."

Wallace later reluctantly links up with a very eager Ivy who wants to help with the case.  

My frinedship-starved neurons were at war with my better business sense.  Get a grip, Howard.  I gave my head a shake.

"With conditions."
"Shocking."
"Temporary junior partner,"  I said.  

Of course things go awry with all the investigating and the kids end up getting called into the office at school...

"You broke into Mr. Vannick's office?"
"That is inaccurate...Not your fault; you didn't have all the facts."
"Howard,"  my mother said, a warning hiss in her voice.
"What I meant was the door was unlocked, so I did not, technically, break in."

Those are just a few of the many laughs from Howard Wallace, P.I.!  So, grab your favorite gum and chew on this case for a while.  You'll be glad you did!


xoxo,
Kelly




 

No comments:

Post a Comment