Wednesday, January 30, 2019

What to Say Next


Title:  What to Say Next

Author:  Julie Buxbaum

Published:  2017

Pages:  287



The socially awkward David Drucker knows all about the popular Kit Lowell, but is taken aback when she sits down next to him at lunch one day.  No one is more surprised than Kit and David themselves as their daily lunch conversations blossom into an actual friendship.

As someone who deals with the daily life of high functioning Autism in my own family, this book was quite intriguing.  At the end of chapter 11, David describes his first swimming under water experience as a child...

I somehow got the courage to put my face right into the pool, all the way past my ears, and the world went blue and dimmed and muffled and finally, finally quiet.

I also really loved the Author's Note at the end of the book...

There is a famous expression that when you meet one person with autism, you meet one person with autism.  Labels can be liberating, but they can also be limiting.  In What to Say Next we meet David.  Just David.  And what a joy he is.





 

1 comment:

  1. Awww... thank you for sharing this. I had it already written down from your post earlier, but I will definitely be checking this out.

    ReplyDelete